History of Kikusui
Along the long avenue of pine trees of Nanzenji Temple, Kikusui began its history around 1895, originally as a villa built for Teramura Suke-emon, a former kimono merchant.
On the site of about 820 tsubo (2710sqm), there are a wonderful “chisen-kaiyushiki” garden (Japanese garden with a pond in the center) and sukiya-style buildings with the best of Japanese architecture created by so-called the pioneer of modern gardens, Jihei Ogawa the seventh, or also known as “Ueji.” As a place with a magnificent view of Higashiyama in the back, Kikusui sat there for a long time at the same place since Meiji Era.
In the garden of Kikusui, there is a pond which imitates the shape of Lake Biwa. There is an anecdote saying that a bridge has already existed on the pond at the same place where the present Omi Bridge is located, hoping for the future to enrich the lives of people by receiving the blessings of Lake Biwa Canal. The weeping cherry tree which is said to be the brother tree from one of the most famous cherry blossoms in Kyoto at Maruyama Park, and in the autumn, Japanese maple leaves (momiji) color the garden as the season changes. The tea room made with the permission from tea ceremony master, and the stone lanterns related to Toyotomi Hideyoshi (a warlord during Sengoku period) add the uniqueness to the garden. Later in 1955, “Ryori Ryokan Kikusui” (Japanese auberge Kikusui) was born, preserving the graceful garden, landscape, and appearance even the owners changed many a times.